Friday, April 24, 2009

Keep Creating, Keep Looking Forward!


I'm reading Pema Chodron's The Places That Scare You. Much of it is about looking at fear in the face and resting on the belief that obstacles are merely illusions; that seeing our individual struggles as a natural, universal process actually helps us see ourselves in others, no matter the skin complexions and persuasions, and vice versa. There's something reassuring about that. Says you're never alone, even when it feels like you are.

I don't know for certain who I'm writing this for. Maybe it's for my own benefit. But it's not all about me. It's all for me--the lessons, the gifts, even the haters and the blessings they bring without intending to--But not about me. I'd pass it on to my students but Hip Hop doesn't require any self-reflecting anymore. Not when they're pushing overpaid brats who talk that nigga smack and walk like toddlers because their pants are so low...

Confess your hidden faults
Approach what you find repulsive
Help those you think you cannot help
Anything you are attached to, let it go
Go to places that scare you.
--Machik Labdron


Maybe it's just New Mexico calling again...

I'm also feelin' Jenny Clermont's art. When I first saw her work I told her she needed to share it with the rest of us, especially since she's that good...If writers are God's messengers, painters are the magicians!...

I might as well speak to the one who's in the process of crossing over from one season to another, from feeling stuck to realizing the very point of staying put, or ending a bad relationship to making way for the real deal. Because true love cannot be found until you know what it means to lose it. So keep creating. Keep looking forward. Use your pen, your paintbrush, music or lens to capture the complicated and translate it into simple but stunning discoveries...



Stand firmly to your truth. Because this is why you're here. To point out the discrepancies, and the wonderful details. Like how the tree branches are doing a sort of dance these days so summer can hurry up and rejuvinate their leaves!

No comments: